Thursday, January 12, 2012

Phrenology Phil

The last few years, I have been on a phrenology kick. Some of you might be scratching your head and asking, "well, what is phrenology?" Well, at least you are scratching the corresponding body part to the study. The following is an easy breezy definition of phrenology.


phre·nol·o·gy/freˈnäləjē/

Noun:
The detailed study of the shape and size of the cranium as a
supposed indication of character and mental abilities.

Picture of Phrenology head which I aptly named Phrenology Phil


(This phrenology head was purchased in Savannah, GA in a funky little shop.)

I stumbled upon phrenology by researching something in my dictionary of psychology. Then I became obsessed. My self-diagnosed OCD kicked in. Yes, I self-diagnose.... a lot.

So, I then found a phrenology poster. I bought it at Urban Outfitters on sale...the sales girls didn't even know what the poster was about. So I bought it on the cheap. Sweet score.

(Big poster. I personally like the honker on this guy's head).

Then, for Christmas my wonderful and loving fiance Ol'WW found the neatest and oldest book from the 1800's about phrenology. It was some man's actual text book on the subject matter. I plan to read this bad boy very very soon.


The study of phrenology really speaks to me on a personal level because I am a very inward thinker. I like my shell and I like to contemplate, over contemplate, then analyze, then over analyze. I'm the girl that will beat the dead horse, revive that equine, just to kill it and beat it again. I have a wild mind. Such a wild mind, that in fact many psychologists and psychiatrists are unable to figure me out. I figured if they can't explain to me why I am the way I am and why the way I think is the way I think....then Phrenology Phil and my own didactic need will solve my personal mysteries. Wish me luck on my own personal study. 

My mom thinks of me often when she hears this weird tune from the 60's. I don't know whether to be flattered or frightened...







Tomorrow is Friday the 13th.....let the magic happen on the luckiest of days. 

1 comment:

  1. Me, too. Right there with you. Phrenology. I think I may have first read about it in Jane Eyre or Villette. I pretend to analyze my husband's skull, but I'm really just making it up. I have long been on the lookout for a phrenology model; your book & poster are amazing!
    ~ J.

    ReplyDelete