Sunday, March 18, 2012

Would a Social Life be Fun Anymore?

Having an auto-immune disease rob you in your 20's kind of...well kind of sucks the big one. I remember in my early 20's dancing it up and having a blast at my favorite club/bar that played alternative 80's music (the best music in the world if you ask me). I would pay for it days afterwards too and not in the hangover sense, in the ouch what the hell happened to my knees, hips, and ankles kind of way. I would ice my swollen joints days after. I always blamed it on my fashionable shoes. Thinking I stood too long, danced too hard, and should have left the party early.

Not until my mid 20's did I understand something was not seriously right anymore. Then comes a crushing blow of a Rheumatoid Arthritis diagnosis and then comes all of the meds that take away normalcy. Not like my body took normalcy away, but how are you supposed to have fun without liquor because you are on so many drugs that kill your kidneys and liver? I'm sorry, but I was never into the straight edge scene that tried happening in the 90's and still carries on today. No moshing to Henry Rollins on Red Bull for me. Libations makes the world go round when you're out trying to blow off steam and being rowdy and young is what one is supposed to do.

Now in my early 30's, I caught myself on a Saturday night lying in my bed with my handy dandy and trusting heating pad, RA hand sleeves to help with swelling and tight tendons, my massaging pillow, ice pack on my knee, and trying to read the Hunger Games (please, let me stress the word TRY...that book is poorly written. I aim for old miserable French and Russian classics, when novels were novels). I stopped and thought to myself as I often do, that this shouldn't be me in my 30's. Then I wondered if a social life is even going to happen anymore. I'm not one for crafting at AC Moore. I don't knit, I don't bake, and I suck at scrap booking...what else does one do to have a social life with a disease?

I tried following that Single Gal with RA....I think she went rogue because she never updated squat on her facebook page. RA Guy seems to be in my boat a lot of the times, and by boat, I really mean bed. Who else can be my RA sherpa to living a rather normal life and getting a social life with a shitty auto-immune disease?

If anyone knows of someone out there that has the answers, please pass along the information. I know there are quite a few younger people out there who have RA and other auto-immune diseases and are going through what I am going through.

I took this picture sometime ago and I want to go back when days of dancing didn't hurt, drinking didn't mix with my RA meds, and I wasn't in bed reading a rather shitty book on a Saturday night.


I leave you with a song I used to love dancing to. Ah, the good ol'days.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had the answers! Unfortunately, I'm still asking these questions myself. We're supposed to be young, cute and fun in our early adulthood, but I spend my Friday nights getting a horrendous Humira injection, wrapping up my weird swollen wrist, and staring at my freaky knee joints as I prop them up on ice or my heating pad. Our peers can only understand chronic pain and R.A. so much, so it's a little awkward to interact at times. Gosh, what a struggle!

    Anyway, as soon as I find the secret, you'll be the first to know!

    ReplyDelete