Friday, June 29, 2012

A Rheumatoid Arthritis Suit

My mom usually feels helpless when it comes to Rita. She gets frustrated that she can't help and that I have my own battle to fight. A battle that is a day to day and varies greatly. One way she feels like she i s helping is by finding articles on the internet. I usually read them and scoff because they do not fully describe what we go through.

However, today that has changed. I did not scoff at this article she e-mailed me. I actually was ecstatic at the prospect of this doctor's work and personal struggles with Rheumatoid Arthritis. His name is Dr. Hamburger (yes, I envisioned the Hamburgalar stealing away our RA) and he practices Rheumatology on Long Island in New York. His father was inflicted with RA and that his father's struggles is what helped shape him as a doctor. In the article was a video and the video showed a RA suit. A suit that restricts joint movement and simulates our stiffness. Granted the suit did not simulate pain or swelling, it was a step in the right direction for people not afflicted with RA to get a small general view of our struggles. Hey, it's better than nothing if you ask me. It is a step in the "walk a mile in our shoes" direction.

Check out the link please and also watch the video. It shows a glimpse into my world and the world of all RA patients.

The link is here.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/suiting-up-to-fight-rheumatoid-arthritis.aspx?xid=aol_eh-arth_2_2011128_&aolcat=AJA&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl22%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D174228

For those of you suffering the oppressive heat today, best of luck. It is supposed to get up to 106 in Raleigh with a heat index of 110. It is safe to say that I will be resting in my bat cave with ice packs and heating pad.

4 comments:

  1. The article and video were both really awesome and I personally think that every doctor, or at least all rheumatologists, should be forced to wear the suit for a full day so they know how difficult it is for us to do day-to-day activities (even if the suit can't fully compare to the pain we feel).

    Good luck beating the heat! It's been in the 90s here in Minnesota for the last week or so, with heat indices reaching near 100.

    To the bat cave!
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelley,

    I hope it has cooled down for you. Not so much here :( I wish!

    I believe every doctor should wear that suit too! I am glad you enjoyed the article and video. I thought it was really interesting. I hope you are feeling well. Take care!

    Hugs,
    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey A!

      It's finally cooled down to the upper 80's here with less humidity. (Sad that I think that 85 is cool weather, huh?). I'm sorry it hasn't cooled down there for you yet - I hope it does soon!

      I hope you are doing ok. I'll try to update my own blog soon about how physical therapy is going and how I'm doing on my new medication-free treatment. Take care of yourself and heal up from surgery! Stay cool, as best as possible.

      Hugs!
      Kelley

      Delete
  3. Sometimes, it's best to consult a doctor who has also experienced the pain and hardships as you did. I mean, they can diagnose the problem faster, and more accurately, as they already know what to look for and where. They would also know how to handle you with care, as it is very hard to move when in pain. Well, I hope you're doing well. Just don't forget to take your daily medication, okay?

    ReplyDelete