Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Drawing Lines in The Sand











Whew, am I pissed. Does Sandy and her barometric pressure have something to do with this mood? Does pain have something to do with this mood? Or, is it selfish people that have something to do with this mood? See, here is a little backstory. I grew up with a very selfish man in my life, my dad. Don't get me wrong, I love the man to death but he has always been and will always continue to be selfish with his "I'll do what I want when I want and to hell with the rest of you." Now, that is a fine attitude to have as a single man with no dependents, like, oh say a wife and daughter. Play Judo even though you don;t have the knees for it? Sure! Why not? Go to sketchy foreign countries and hang out with shady locals? Sure! Why not? Go flying by yourself in a puddle jumper without being fully licensed? Sure! Why not? I get the whole you have to live your life attitude but why take the selfish route when you know you have loved ones who rely on you being on this planet. Not rely in the economic sense, but in the emotional sense. Especially knowing one loved member is emotionally fragile. I saw what that selfish "I'll do what I want" attitude did to my mom. It made her into an awful worry wart, an obsessive worrier. It's not fair. Now, she has the oddest neurosis I have ever seen.

I swore I wasn't go to be with a selfish person and I work everyday not to be a selfish person (it comes so easily for the only child in me) but I know I always keep my loved ones in mind when something dangerous comes into play. You know how Sandy hit with flooding and wind for a lot of states? Well, Sandy dumped a good amount of snow/blizzard material on the state of West Virginia. What did my fiance do today? Drove to school. What is he going to do tomorrow despite the Governer's strict and stern warning? Yep, drive to school. I am appalled at his school for even being open. They are going to get an earful from me tomorrow. Second, I gave an earful to my fiance but he held that same selfish attitude my Dad has, and it pissed the hell out of me. Same ol' I'll do what I want and to the hell with all of you all over again. Nope, not going to do it. I have NO room in my life for that for another 33 years. I'm drawing a line in the sand thanks to Sandy. I refuse to be living with someone let alone married to someone who did the same thing to me my whole life. All in the name of stupid school?! It's school! They will survive a day without your presence. See, my fiance has Ankylosing Spondylitis. His neck and back are completely fused. He can't turn his neck or back. His neck does not move, therefore, if he were to get in an accident (God forbid) no rescue crew could move his neck or intubate him. He will be further fucked up if not dead. Nice, huh? He was convinced he couldn't drive for oh twelve years or so and then I had to come into his life and encourage his driving by saying I see midgets with no hands drive, I think you could drive with the right equipment. Well, am I ever fucking sorry I encouraged him. Now he thinks he doesn't have AS and he can drive just fine on the craziest smallest country roads with fallen trees, ice, and snow. What is the moral to this story? I'll never encourage him to do anything ever again.

I'm hurt in all honesty. Hurt he didn't even consider my feelings, thoughts, or concerns about his own safety. Didn't consider the fact that I emotionally rely on him and thanks to him he saved my life during one real awful year. I had and almost succeeded in offing myself but I stopped despite the awful non-stop pain and constant medical let down because of my consideration for my parents and the prospect of being loved by someone I loved too. Now, I don't even get the same consideration. Woah, major red flag.

It hasn't been a good fiance communication week. Last night I mentioned how I have been working hard on wedding planning (an academic who is not bridal in the least trying to plan a wedding is funny in itself), and how I was working on our wedding website all day. What did he say in all honesty? "We have a wedding website?" That was a knife to the heart. Then I also tell him I have a meeting with a photographer today at 11. He texts me 10 times during my awkward meeting with the photographer. I call him afterwards and said I was in the meeting. Guess what? He forgot about that too. What the hell? I know dudes could give two shits less about weddings but try and pretend to care and follow along. After tomorrow, who knows if he'll be alive to even attend the wedding. I will have to find a new groom with the initials of WS because I just ordered a shit load of monogramed shit for our wedding.

He won't see why I am making a "big deal" about this. I bet you 10 bucks, 10 bucks to any reader who reads this and responds. I promise I'll send the dough. I know I am not hormonal about this because I don't have an ovarian reserve or a thyroid. I am on hormone pills and anti-depressants and mood stabilizers. I haven't missed a dose so I know I am medically induced sane right now.

His new anthem should be I am a rock, I am an island.





6 comments:

  1. Sigh :( That's frustrating honey, I'm sorry. I think that it's very easy for people to not think about the impact that their words or actions have. He has got to understand that he needs to be around for you and perhaps that getting a degree doesn't mean shit if you're dead. UGH. How are they able to stay open? This is just ridiculous. If you need help slapping the shit out of him, I'm there in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey A!

    Sorry I haven't been around lately. I am so sorry to hear about rupus and your problems with Rituxan!!! And I'm sorry to hear that your fiance is being (more than a bit) reckless in driving around during Sandy - I can imagine it's extremely frustrating for you. And I think it ridiculous that the school is even freaking open during a hurricane/superstorm - he should just take the time and get caught up on work that he could easily do at home - there's no need for him to go out and take the risk of driving to and from school in the weather.

    Stay safe, A!
    Love and Big (non-pain-inducing) hugs!
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Kirbir and Kelley,

    The stubborn ass went to school. Yep, I called it. I gave him that one last chance to change his mind. He chose risking his life for school over my care, concern, and worry. I'm pissed. So Kirbir, let's gang up and slap him upside the head. He needs it. That stupid school! How have you been feeling KirBir? Engagement bliss?

    Kelley-How have you been? Thanks for checking in. I had a rough go but I am currently on the semi-mend. I am mad at him and at that dumb school! Ugh. So many emotions.
    I hope you are well.

    LOVE TO YOU BOTH AND BIG HUGS!
    A

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Urrrrgggghhhhhhhhh. I am so tired of people being incredibly reckless with themselves. My mom was just in the hospital for a week and apparently now has decided it's time to take care of herself - not for me or my sister but for my niece despite several interventions sis and I have had with her in the past decade RE health. People are stupid :(

    But other than that yeah, engagement bliss-ish haha. Sorry for venting!

    And enjoy this! http://youtu.be/5cR-WiGKZtg

    HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A,

    I'm pretty good, I guess. I wrote you a novel of a reply on own last blog post (cuz, you know, I reply in October to things that were written in August...lol!), so if you wanna head over there, you can see all the details. Suffice it to say, I'm more than a bit fed up right now. Keep an eye out for a new post to be coming soon(ish), as soon as I get a few minutes to collect my thoughts and put them down on the internet. Eh, who am I kidding? I'll never have the time, but I'll procrastinate on doing my homework and blog instead!

    Hope things are going a little bit better, but I'm guessing it'll be rough for a while yet. Hope it gets better soon, in that case! In the meantime, have a cute video of a puppy trying to stay awake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlPb8vsvcoM, or if puppies aren't cute enough for you, a video of otters chasing butterflies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJoCulItdxg&feature=youtu.be

    Love and hugs,
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete